There are classic elements that come together to make a quintessential English summer; Pimms sunshine, picnics and croquet? O.k. croquet is a stretch, because it is not something we all know how to play. Pimm’s cider cup is looking to change that and breathe new life into the British sport by hosting its very own croquet lawn, 800ft above the streets of London at the View from the Shard. Open now until Sunday 21st August, this truly unique pop up aims to bring a touch of fun to the iconic building. I had the honor of knocking around a few balls, in the beautiful garden space at the Shard 72 floors up, with the help of Joe Jacques the great grandson of the creator of croquet. I got secretly competitive, giggling at my mis-hits ( cursing myself on the inside) and resisting the urge to cheer and whoop when I managed to score a point. Don’t worry I stayed reserved, I am British after all. After the game there is nothing more captivating than looking out over the London skyline, whilst enjoying a glass of Pimm’s.
“This year marks 165 years since my great grandfather invented croquet and-amazingly-165 years since Pimms was first produced too. Back then, croquet was one of the most popular British sports, but over the last few decades we’ve seen fewer people take up the sport. I’m so pleased to be getting involved in getting the British public playing again.”
Pimm’s Cider Cup + Croquet Experience
Pimm’s Cider Cup and Croquet Experience tickets are for guests 18+ years only. General Admission ticket holders can also enjoy playing croquet on a first come first serve basis daily from 10am-12pm.
- A bottle of Pimm’s Cider Cup
- A 15 minute game of croquet in London’s highest Summer Garden.
- Entry to The View from The Shard with access to Level 69 and the open air Skydeck on Level 72 where you’ll be exposed to the elements and the sounds of the city below.
- Complimentary audio and visual guides available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Catalan, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese and Arabic to learn about the view, The Shard and the capital.
- Use of interactive Tell: scopes to learn about London’s past, present and future.
- Access to London’s highest Champagne experience and Sky Boutique.
- No time limit in the attraction.